Sew Geeky Episode 1: 8 Bit Babies

By ari - July 20, 2014


So this is actually the first Sew Geeky we ever did, but somehow it was deleted off my blog. There's no way that i could find of restoring it, which sucks so hard, so here it is rewritten! Enjoy the not epic odd-sized photos and vintage Eddie & Vin! (A throwback if you've seen this before!)

in the days before Eddie could even stand up omg

For Sew Geeky Episode 1, Kat & I decided on the theme (cleverly named by her husband Jon) 8 Bit Babies! We thought it was a good way to start off the series, and Sonic the Hedgehog was one of my favourite games/tv shows when I was younger! While I was making this, like every Sew Geeky, I threw the inspiration up on my laptop and Vincent spent hours and hours watching Sonic the Hedgehog videos on youtube. 


Vinnie is, of course, Sonic the Hedgehog. His outfit consists of an epic hoodie, navy Hosh pants and a resized shirt worn underneath! Let's break it down!


 I had the Sega Shirt in my stash for a really long time. I scored it from an epic thrift shop adventure and hoarded it for ages until the perfect moment. It was a simple resize from an adult's tee down to a Vin sized tee (cute story: Vin came up to me just earlier today with a maternity shirt of mine and said 'It's too bad you can't resize this for me'. Well I can and I will, son, but I'm more stoked that you just drop 'resize' into everyday speech and know that I have the capabilities of doing stuff like that for you!).
 

His pants are made from my boo Sarah's amazing/go-to-pants pattern Hosh Pants! I used this vintage navy fabric in my stash that has this cool raised squiggly pattern along it.


yeeehhh... that's the best photo I have of the back....


 The blue blur!




I had grand plans of making Vin some Toms, but the size pattern for him was like a boat on his foot. They really didn't turn out well at all. I do want to try this out again, but I might seriously change the sizes to custom-fit them to Vin's feet.


The hoodie was truly epic and a labour of love. It took me a few little muslins to get the hood pieces right, but I'm really really stoked with the outcome! I didn't use a pattern, just used a hoodie that fit him already as a guide. The Hood was made in several pieces, each little spike was sewn together like a little shark fin then sewn into the hood. The hood had several panels that the fin/spikes were sandwiched between.


The main spike can stand up all by itself because it is stuffed with fabric. Not just any fabric. No I made a little 'shell' that is anchored just inside the hood. It's hidden in the lining of the hood, which opens with a little velcro at the front - giving it enough space to reach in and tug out the shell.


It's edged in elastic, and is just big enough for a little boy to curl up into and go into super speedy Sonic mode (where he looks like he's a little ball!)



Although it is easy to lose your balance..



And to go with Sonic the Hedgehog is his pretty little friend Amy Rose!


 She looks like such a piglet oh my goodness.





Eddie's Amy Rose outfit consisted of a pink hoodie, a red Doli tank as a dress and some pink tights!


The hoodie was also drafted up from a hoodie that fit her well. I made little pink ears but I think they are too close together and too far forward. They look like little piglet ears! I also stitched a red band around the hood, like Amy Rose's headband. I was debating adding spikes to the hood, but I figured for the hoodie to actually be useful to Eddie it probably shouldn't be terribly annoying to the poor babe


Her tights were made using Made by Rae's tutorial, so easy to make. I make all Eddie's stockings this way now! I used pink ribbing fabric from my stash (everything I used was stash-busted, except for the main pink & blue fleece from the hoods. Those were bought from Lincraft)


Her dress is the Doli tank made up in the 12month size. It was just too perfect not to use! I just used red cotton with white contrast!


Really wish the TOMS shoes would have worked out! Eddie feels the same way!


And the bloopers: What is going on in their little heads I don't even know!


And when Vincent got stuck around the wall..


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. So lovely they have turned out. Kids may have been very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sonic hoodie is totally cute but sealed the deal for me when you showed that he can roll into a ball. Hysterical and amazing. My kiddo would DIE for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could I please get the pattern for the hood, I'm trying to make a sonic hoddie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can I buy the sonic hoodie?
    I really want to give to my cousin for present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can I buy the sonic hoodie?
    I really want to give to my cousin for present.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!