Thumbs Up Tee: Robin Style!

By ari - January 18, 2015

I haven't sewn anything for Vin in a little while, save for whipping him up about 10 pairs of basic elastic-waist shorts. He's so picky with his clothes, he doesn't mind modelling and get photos but he complains about every little thing. It's way easier to cater to his baby sister's vanity these days! Plus, he has like 3 years of sewing on her so I do indulge the bebe a little.


However I'm always on the lookout for rad boyswear because it's my passion. Boys Fashion is a big thing for me, I love following trends, I love thinking up new and unique little items for my dude and I really just love how it's still such a little niche. I love being non-mainstream! #sewingrebel


The Thumbs Up Tee is designed by the ladies at Once Upon a Sewing Machine  and has some super cute little features! I was able to test this shirt and this was the first shirt i made from the test pattern and I have to say it was pretty spot on for me!

The shirt features two-piece sleeves and cuffs with thumbholes. I've done thumbholes before (never photographed or blogged about it but omg I should because it's a pretty epic shirt in its own!) so I went into this feeling confident. However my first go of  the cuffs was a bit fail, as in I somehow had no holes for his thumbs. It was all good though, it's just one of those things where I needed to walk away from sewing and do something else before coming back to it with a fresh mind. Since this testing round they have updated the instructions for the thumbholes and it is SUPER helpful!


Instead of doing just a straight forward little long-sleeved tee, I knew I wanted my first sewing of the year to be something pretty epic. It didn't take me long to realise that thumbholes, although super rockstar and sort of reminiscent of my teenage year (Tim has a HUGE thing for thumbholes omg, he was SO EXCITED over this pattern it cracked me up!), also seemed a bit superhero!


So I stitched an R onto the front of the tee, using reverse applique because it's a nice lazy way of appliquing and it was late and I didn't want to get my stencilling supplies out. Still looks legit though! The Upper sleeves I used a slinky green knit, which was originally the same I was using for the cuffs. It's thinner than the red and the yellow and I feel this is why the original cuffs were a bit fail since it kept slipping everywhere. All good though, the yellow pops & rocks!


Not actually a face palm, apparently he just rubs his face dramatically :,)







They've released the pattern and you can get it right here! You can get it for $5 with the code THUMBSUP until midnight Sunday. Which is different for most of you to what midnight Sunday is for me. So, you have like a day. Or something. Don't take my word on that because i think we are all well aware of my timezone-deficiency :,)



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

I love comments!