Project Run & Play Mini

By ari - August 28, 2017

Hey guys! I never really thought i'd be doing anything like Project Run & Play ever again but here I am partying for their mini challenge! And you know what, just like with everything with the PR&P crew, i had so much fun! This post has a bunch of fun pics and a LOT of words so grab a milo and some wagon wheels c:


The challenge this time is to sew an outfit (for our bubs!) with the fabric that was sent to us from Art Gallery Fabrics. We didn't get to choose, which was sort of hectic because the moment I saw the fabric (Fietsen Intense by Katarina Roccella) i was allocated my stomach did a dive - how was I going to pull this off? I have two styles: black and edgy and grungey, or bright and colourful and fun! The bicycles is definitely something a lot more classy than my usual style, so i was panicking a little that i would just wind up making some sort of pretty dress for eddie and leave it at that. NOT that that is a bad thing (at all!) but it's not really my style and definitely not what I wanted to do for this competition. I know i have a rep for being more than a little different, so I wanted to embrace that!

but HOW.

We were allowed to choose another fabric to go with the one we were assigned, so after a little trawling one morning I chose this one (Paparounes Crimson, also by Katarina Roccella!), i thought the colours would go great together and with the bolder florals I felt like it would be a bit easier for me to come up with something! As you can see there is no black and there's no fluro, just navy, white and this pretty peachy coral colour in the bicycle fabric.


By the time the fabric came I had it ALL PLANNED out and ready, i even had some basic pieces that were going with my original idea all sewn up, but you know what? I missed one important thing.

The fabric was KNIT.

I have no idea I just assumed it was some sort of cotton. I'm super smart you guys c:

That kinda threw my original plans for a six, but then after staring at the fabric (and marvelling at how SOFT it was)(we may have cuddled it, searching for inspiration to hit me) we came up with something even BETTER!


So, well, i mean if you're a reader of this blog or know me in any way you will know by now for sure that my strength is sewing for my muse, Vin! Sewing for him is not only totally fun but it's my favourite thing to do because I know that sewing for boys is definitely a minority, but also sewing when you have my style is even more unique! There was no doubt in my mind that this was going to be a boy look, for SURE! Eddie saw all the fabric though and asked me to make her a dress, so naturally her outfit came to be as well (GUYS I haven't even introduced my baby yet?! I had one! His name is Nova! I better post about the stuff I made him later so you can meet him properly YIKES) SO ANYWAY I was going to sew up something for the littlest in the trilogy too but I thought that it was going to be overachieving, difficult, and I've been 24 days without sleep so leaving it to the modelling efforts of my two oldest pros was a much better idea (but you know, this fietsen intense fabric is hella soft and I have a small scrap of it left so stay tuned to my sewing instagram for some baby leggings for sure!)


Vincent's outfit is a damn dream on him, I mean LOOK. He loves it too, which is always such a good thing when sewing for the kids! His coveralls are self-drafted, basically a button up shirt mashed with some pants/jeans. They're made out of denim with a tonne of fun details! I lined it with the poppy fabric that I also was sent by Art Gallery Fabrics (Paparounes Crimson)



The knees feature motorcycle-style knee pads, with one of them being a ~~secret pocket! There's also ~~~secret pockets in the sideseams of the coveralls, I used little invisible zippers to make them hidden. I have way too much fun with pockets you guys! The knee patches are a bunch of pin tucks, which was sort of fun but time consuming and involved me drawing a lot of lines on the denim with my broken grading ruler. I really love the way they look though, so does vin!

his little henna tattoo ^_^

His shirt is made out of the bicycle fabric (fietsen intense knit!) and I used the beachy boatneck top from blank slate patterns. this has always been one of my favourite patterns, and it's becoming more and more one i reach for to sew for vin because of that amazing neckline and how well it flatters his gorgeous lil chest! I know I've said it a few times now but this fabric is SO CRAZY SOFT, like butter, it's beautiful. The little man loves his shirt so much (he tried to sleep in it after the shoot), comfort is such a big factor for him these days and I totally agree because I've been focusing on comfort too!


Eddie's dress is the groove dress (this is the third one i've made and let me tell you it will NOT be the last, this pattern is addictive as they warn you it is!) by Made-It Patterns. The child loves her dress too, she loves all her groove dresses but this one is fantastic because... yeh... IT'S SO SOFT! I lined the lower back half of the dress with the poppy print for a dash of extra fun there and I really love how it turned out!


 I made a simple kimono to go over the top, which at first (when I was telling her the designs) she was so not into at all. However once I started sewing it up and got her to try it on she started to fall for it hard! AWESOME. And, as you can see, she loves how it accessorises her groove dress so perfectly. I love the boxy shape on her, we cinched it with a belt for some pics but for others we just let it flap free.


It's kind of funny that i was avoiding making her a pretty dress for this and well... I did hehe.

Do you love these looks? Please vote for me if you do! And leave a comment here bc it makes me feel fuzzy to know people still read this lil ol blog c:



MASSIVE shoutout to my amazing kids and their epic modelling skills? I'm really determined to learn my camera better bc i swear my photos are letting all of us down. Also to my husband who helped me brainstorm and was incredible during the shoot (that man has an amazing brain that works so well with mine!). Thanks to Hayley also for letting me chat and making me realise I wasn't alone! Thank you to Art Gallery Fabrics for the amazing fabric that they shipped all the way to australia for this and thank you for PRP of course because I adore you ladies and how much you've supported and loved me throughout my blogging journey!

Oh and because you made it all the way down here you deserve to see these outtakes, lmao:

she was falling lmao


he took my "put your hand in your pocket" too the extreme

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Super cool, Ari! Love the pants and the floral accents. The dress is gorgeous too! 💙💙

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is EPIC! I always love all the little details you work into your projects (and omg your gorgeous kids!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally get to comment on this! Seriously super awesome. Love the photo shoot, the clothes, your kids. Simply perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!