Guest Blogger:: THERA JOYCE + a comic hairclip!

By Max California - August 08, 2010

Just been chatting to our favourite Crafty Pirate ((I know she's your favourite too, I see links to her projects and blog frequently on my Google reader! Don't think I'm not watching you!))We've got a massive joint adventure in store for you this week! Can't wait to announce it!

Hi Friends! It's Thera from Crafty Pirate, and I'm here to share this awesome new tutorial I wrote. I created this tutorial based around the idea that I didn't need to go out and purchase supplies, I just had these things laying around. I mean, you may not have comics in your house but you could have a magazine or old book you could use. These super cute hair clips are really easy to make. Show off your rock 'n' roll style with a homemade accessory. The best part is, you're recycling! Oh, and you can make these into magnets for your fridge or brooches.







You will need:

Sour Cream Lid (or any plastic container lid)
Barrette Backing (or pin backing or magnet)
Comic Book
Lace
Felt
Thread
Needle
Heart Template
Sharpie
Fabric Scissors
Paper Scissors
Paint Brush
Mod Podge
Tacky Glue
Hot Glue Gun





With the inside of the plastic lid facing up, place the heart template on the plastic lid and trace around it with a sharpie or pencil. My heart template is about 3 inches by 2 inches. You can find some heart templates here. Simply trace the heart onto some poster board and cut it out. Voila! Now you have a heart template.



Cut the heart out.



Now flip through the comic book and find an image you'd like to use. Lay the heart template over the image and trace around it.



Cut the image out.



Add a small amount of tacky glue to the plastic heart. Make sure you add glue to the non-printed side of the heart. You don't want the print on the plastic lid to show through when you glue the comic image to the plastic heart.



Lining up all edges, glue the comic image to the plastic heart.



With a hot glue gun, glue the lace to the outside edge of the back side of the plastic heart.



With a paint brush, paint a small amount of Mod Podge over the comic image. Make sure you don't get Mod Podge on the lace.



While the Mod Podge is drying, lay the heart template on top of the felt and trace around the template. Cut the felt heart out.



Stitch the barrette backing to the felt heart. Alternatively: hot glue a magnet to the felt heart to make a magnet for your fridge, or stitch a pin backing the the felt heart to make a brooch.



Once the Mod Podge has dried, use the hot glue gun to glue the felt heart to the back of the plastic heart. This step finishes off the hair clip nicely, covering the edges of the lace and lid print.

Now you can make a whole army of comic strip hair clips!

Get crafty with it: use any magazine clipping you'd like or add glitter glue for some sparkle. Make them into magnets for your fridge, or make some Super Hero brooches. The possibilities are endless, just like I like it!




I know, I know, I gasped too when she cut up that comic book! I'm going to print a pic off the internet instead!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love comments!