Recovered Toddler Couch

By Max California - February 10, 2011



I hated the idea of buying a new toddler sofa for the Little Monster for $40, when I was SURE I could build one myself. I'd found this tutorial by ikatbag and so was continuously on the hunt while op-shopping for foam, since foam around these parts is NOT inexpensive. It's actually pretty ridiculous.

Then one day I found this, for $4 reduced from $8 at the local op-shop. Sadly, a week later that shop was one of the many businesses here that went completely underwater, so I guess I'm lucky I snapped this up when I did!

before. gross.
 Check it out though, ew. Stains everywhere and... Winnie the damn Pooh. The character I HATE the most! UGH I CAN'T STAND HIM. He's on par with me as that Elmo character, although Elmo truly creeps me out and Pooh just annoys the frell out of me.


So I cut the cover off, using the pieces as patterns and made a new cover for it! Surprisingly the foam was so clean and pristine underneath!

I used red tartan for the couch, an old Rancid tee I had scored at the thrift store as a patch for the front of it and I even added a blanket to the inside of it so he can snuggle in when he's watching Yo Gabba Gabba [the only thing that is allowed on tv when he is awake, even if he's not watching it]



The back even has an elasticised pocket to put things in. I'm yet to attach the base to it, I still have to go buy some big zips, but it's been holding up okay without a base for a good long month now!

In progress shot of the back pocket!

I will add a tutorial of sorts, and eventually I'll scan the pattern pieces and upload them for you. Let me tell you, if you're doing it the way I did, don't pull all the pieces apart straight away. Do it bit by bit, deconstructing and reconstructing as you go because otherwise you'll have a mass of pieces and have no idea how they go back together!!

I have all the tutorial photos ready, I'm just going to wait for a slow news day to put them up :)

Click below the cut for a happy baby modelling it!





This is Bruce Wayne Jnr. I'm sure I've mentioned him before. When my son and his friends are all together I rename them Bruce [my son - Little Monster], Wayne [Little Genius] and this little fellow, Bruce Wayne Jnr. Bruce Wayne Jnr is exactly one year younger than my little man, and a card-carrying member of the Blue-Eyed Boys gang.

Anyway, Bruce Wayne Jnr. approves of the punk sofa!








  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Awesome, can't wait to see the tute! Mine needs a new one. And I think it'll be fun too make. And maybe a tad hard, but still fun lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea! You went above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic, and just what I needed! Love the plaid and the old Rancid shirt. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's completely put off by the current kids' furniture offerings. Crap characters or vinyl versions of gaudy adult crap... Can't wait for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!