Recycled Crayons

By ari - January 10, 2012

Edit: I found an easier way to melt the crayons, check out the tutorial here!



I've always wanted to do this, and we finally got around to it one rainy day.

It didn't take long to remove the paper from the crayons and break them all up. I used an ikea ice-cube tray which they say NOT to use in the oven, but hey, I'm a rebel right? If the oven was cooler things may have gone better, heheh.


The ice-cube tray warped a little, it has now been confined to my craft studio for future crayon makings since it's no longer fit for ice making. The crayons were a bit of a waxy mess, with clear wax settling on top at first. My oven was WAY too hot. I popped them in the fridge though and they sorted themselves out! You can kind of see that there is a definite layer between the backs and the fronts.


The crayons however, turned out great! There was a few broken ones as I tried to get them out of the mold, but once I got into it, it became easier and no more broken stars.



Little Monster loved the 'Sdars'. The colours came out really bright too.

There are a gazillion tutorials on the internet for this, but here's the one I used


Strangely enough one of my friends was doing the exact same thing! She made some cars and boats as a present for someone.

Pin It

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I love this! I should make some of these for the kids I teach at kindy! (Although, is it bad that I want to make some for myself?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a great idea!!!! love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats funny that your friend was doing the same thing. :)

    They turned out great!

    Come visit my blog : www.sweetsurrenderart.com
    See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great!! I don't have any kiddies myself but they would make a great present for the nieces and nephews:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!