Winter is sort of coming...

By ari - June 07, 2014


It's not even winter, but some days here it is REALLY cold! (what a huge change from my last post when we were up in sunny Cairns! Ahhh the tropics!) I had this little outfit cut out for Edison before summer left us, but I never got around to sewing it up, even though at the time I was all about sewing for the season ahead!


The dress is made from super soft grey fleece, it has minimal stretch and I used the Bimaa Sweater pattern as a base and used the hood as the neckline (as opposed to my usual love for the cowl neck feature!). The pattern is obviously for stretchy fabrics, so I made this a size up than I normally would for Edison (a size 2) although it's a bit snug because she has the yummiest tubby tummy ever. I lengthened it quite a lot, giving it a bit of an A-Line shape to the bottom. Just before I sewed the sideseams I decided at the last minute to add these weird pockets. I can't remember what my original idea was, but I found these two rectangles in the pile of cut out pattern pieces so I decided to use them!


I edged the pocket openings in a paler grey stretch fabric, like you would do when you bind the neckline of a t-shirt.

Here is a little sketch of how I did the pockets:


Ummm I hope that is helpful? Ha!



I used this corduroy/velvety/stretchy-something fabric for the leggings for Eddie. I just used my base leggings pattern which I've been using a lot lately! I drafted out a size 4/5 for Vincent's gorgeous legs that I will probably upload at some point (the pattern not the legs lol)


She insisted on those shoes too :/ I should hide all her shoes when I need to do little shoots with her and only have matching ones out  haha.

I made the beanie by hacking up an old jumper that has been hacked previously for various projects, and using the toddler slouch beanie pattern (free) I actually whipped up a bunch of beanies last night. This one is a little different, I just cut a semi-circle out of the top crown and stitched the front to the back as usual!


I absolutely love it. I've seen this style around a lot, I need to get some more old jumpers to hack up!


 True story, she was actually bawling her eyes out as I was getting her dressed because I had to take her pjs off and her shoes (the ones she insisted on wearing). She was really upset until I said I needed to take photos of her real quick before we took Vince to school. She pepped up instantly! Ran to the wall and waited for me to get ready. The director for photography was Vincent, who told her how to stand and what to do. He's great. She's great. I love them!

 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I can't believe how she just gets cuter and cuter! Her outfit is pretty darn cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe how your kiddos just get cuter and cuter! The outfit is pretty darn cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, that looks like the comfiest dress ever! And I love the leggings. Not to mention the gorgeous model - what blue eyes! Glad she cheered up :-) (also the shoes totally go!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very curious to know what "really cold" means in Australia :) Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!