Spooky Owl Messenger Bag + Baja Hoodie

By ari - June 13, 2015


I reviewed this bag for Pattern Revolution a little while ago, and the kid STILL loves it, so I thought I'd talk more about it as well as the shorts & hoodie!

 

The Messenger Bag by Little Moo Designs wasn't very difficult to sew up at all, however when it says that it is a pattern it doesn't actually come with any printable pattern pieces except for the applique templates. There are measurements for constructing each panel of the bag, which was straightforward enough! There are four appliques to choose from; I really wanted to sew the tent or the fox but Vin-dawg chose the owl so I had to think of some rad ways to make it work for us. Choosing some skull & crossbones fabric I have had in my stash for well over 10 year, I used the last of it on this bag as well as some plain black poplin. I lined it with black  white stripped drill which pulled together the kooky-feel of the bag I was going for quite well!


The shoulder strap is maybe a bit wide? However Vin absolutely loves this bag it's a little ridiculous haha. He uses it everywhere we go, slung over his shoulder and won't take it off like it's a piece of his clothing (ie wears it at dinner and in his carseat). He carries his little lego dudes in it, sometimes my ipad that he has claimed as his main Minecraft device (lol) but also uses it in play as a mailman bag and rides his bike up and down the veranda 'delivering' letters to Eddie & I.


 Dad built a fire pit at the start of autumn in our backyard and it's been really fun to just sit around it and hang out. Vincent, like most people I guess, gets super hypnotised by the flames flickering and crackling. Taking photos for this post was pretty easy then ahha.



I also made his shorts and his hoodie! The hoodie is the Subnmarine Pullover by Shwin Designs, still one of my favourite hoodie patterns. The fabric is a really loose weave and while I love the aesthetic of it, SUCH a pain to sew omg. As Vincent pulled the hoodie on over his head there was already some fabric pulling away from the seam. Ill have to patch it, but I don't mind so much because I think with this baja-inspired style of this hoodie, a few patches will look pretty rad. This is the third time I've sewn this pattern up (one & two), and I have a pink baja-style hoodie cut out for Eddie too. I really should get around to sewing it up since the babe is chunking up! You can see in the photo above, near the placket the fabric has pulled away.


I really love the three very distinct styles I've made this hoodie up in, they're so different but all the same pattern! I bought the fabric from Spotlight but I have bought similar fabric from Ethnic Touch that I ended up sewing into curtains!

alpine hoodie

Beach Bum hoodie

I didn't really get any great pics of his shorts, but basically I cut up a bunch of squares from my scrap fabric pile, making sure to include some scraps of his favourite fabrics (pink teddy bears, purple swirls). Then I sewed them all together so I had some 'fabric' and cut the shorts pattern from it. I can't remember which pattern I used but I'm pretty sure they're Hosh pants as shorts. Of course I made a small pocket on one of the white squares near the hem so he has a secret lego pocket.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love comments!