galaxy pullover from a japanese sewing book!

By ari - January 02, 2022

 I did not blog here once last year 😂 it's just so much easier microblogging on insta!

galaxy pullover from a japanese sewing book!  • www.max-california.com

I'm joining in on the #sewjapaneseinjanuary hosted by blogless anna (who has a blog lmao) + crafty jane makes on instagram. It encourages you to bust open your japanese sewing books (if you have any) and it definitely inspired me to crack mine open! I only have one, but i adore pouring through it. It's pretty old but the styles are timeless and the little outfits are so cute. You can see a full review of the book over here on Japanese Sewing Books (a number one resource in sewing from them, too!)

sewing from a japanese sewing book!  • www.max-california.com

I think i bought this one from eBay a decade ago, to be honest, i think eddie was a tiny baby when the japanese sewing book craze hit my radar. Nova, my baby, is now in the biggest size that this book offers so it's time to crack on and make some things from it for him!

Sewing from a japanese book can be intimidating if you don't know any japanese! There are some amazing resources out there, though, like the Japanese Sewing Books site i linked above. Yifarn has a guide on how to sew from japanese sewing books as well as some translations for some of the commonly used words (like front, bodice, size etc!). I printed the translations out and have them in the book so i can refer to them when i need to.

sewing from a japanese sewing book!  • www.max-california.com

The pattern pages look like a roadmap, and remind me of when my mum would sew from the Burda pattern books or TopKids when i was a kid! I'm not a stranger to this style of patterns but it does make it even more challenges when my japanese is limited (i can recognise and read hiragana + very limited kanji but i don't know what it means ahha)

galaxy pullover from a japanese sewing book!  • www.max-california.com

I decided on this one at the beginning of the book, a cute little pullover that i did sew for Eddie once but it didn't work out so great. I think i used a fabric that was too thin and i forgot to add the seam allowance (seam allowance is NOT included in these patterns!). I love the little neckline and the pocket at the back. I don't think the pocket is useful for anything but it's a cute little feature anyway. Maybe nova can carry my snacks? 

galaxy pullover from a japanese sewing book!  • www.max-california.com



I used a BEAUTIFUL knit from Missy Rose, it's the knit 220 in a pretty galaxy print and it's so luxe and soft, like butter. I've had it over a year i'd say, it's just so nice and i couldn't find a worthy project to cut into it. I am thinking of making some leggings though. I don't wear leggings that much these days (just plain black ones for work!) but these would be comfy and pretty work out leggings maybe?

galaxy pullover from a japanese sewing book!  • www.max-california.com

The contrast neckband and hem band is just a black knit, my sister conveniently gifted me a few metres of it pre-washed that morning that she didn't need ^_^ Thanks Betty! I used a yellow drawstring at the neck to match the star dust on the shirt and i adore the contrast there! 

galaxy pullover from a japanese sewing book!  • www.max-california.com
galaxy pullover from a japanese sewing book!  • www.max-california.com

The back has that cute little pocket and features a tag from Kylie + the Machine! It says "love you to the (moon) and back" and it's so fitting for this shirt I think! I've always done space-themed things for little Nova since he's my space baby (and the midwife forgot his name and wrote NASA on his discharge papers lmao)

galaxy pullover from a japanese sewing book!  • www.max-california.com


The tag came in the Kylie and the Machine advent calendar! Tim bought it for me and I thoroughly enjoyed opening it every day. There was three tags for each day, or an iron on patch, and my little label stash has just exploded with so many possibilities! 

Overall, I ADORE this pattern! I made it in the size 120, even though Nova's measurements put him at the 110 size (there's only three sizes, 100, 110, 120) and although I thought it might be with his height, this kid is only 104cm so maybe he's short? I don't know ahha. I did the size up from his just in case I messed it up, but it worked out beautifully and i think making it in the 110 size would have been just fine. I do like this though, it doesn't look too big on his solid little frame and it means he'll wear it for longer! Since he's my baby, and the baby of our whole family too, once he grows out of his clothes I have to search for someone to give his hand-me-downs too and it's hard to give away these handmades I have discovered!

galaxy pullover from a japanese sewing book!  • www.max-california.com

Hope you had a great NYE and I hope you can make 2022 everything you need it to be!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I love comments!