Chicken Normandy

By Max California - December 01, 2009

This was a big hit with my husband, my mother and my sister! I rarely cook things that aren't our usual boring pasta/rice with meat + sauce routine, so when I tried this I was really impressed with how well it turned out!

I now buy the Good Taste + Super Food Ideas magazines religiously. Although now that they're online, I probably won't anymore? haha, THRIFTY

Here's the recipe, straight from the website. I'd change it a bit though, I'd eliminate the dry apple cider, it's not really necessary.


Ingredients (serves 6)

  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 2 tbs butter
  • 1.5kg chicken thigh fillets, halved
  • Ground nutmeg
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
  • 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
  • 125ml (1/2 cup) dry apple cider
  • 125ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock
  • 80ml (1/3 cup) apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tbs plain flour
  • 2-3 tbs water
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, extra, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
  • 125g (1/2 cup) sour cream

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat the oil and half the butter in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook one-third of the chicken for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a large casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining chicken.
  2. Reduce heat to medium. Add the apple to the frying pan and cook for 2 minutes each side or until light golden. Place over the chicken in the dish. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook onion in pan, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add to the dish. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, place the cider, stock, vinegar and thyme in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Combine the flour and a little water in a small bowl. Gradually add the flour mixture to the cider mixture, whisking constantly, until well combined. Stir until thick. Simmer for 3 minutes.
  4. Heat remaining butter in the frying pan over medium heat. Add the extra apple and cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden.
  5. Add the sour cream to the cider mixture and stir over medium heat for 1 minute or until the sauce is just heated through.
  6. Transfer the chicken and apple mixture to a serving platter. Pour over the sauce and top with the apple rings.

Notes & tips

  • Serve this dish with mashed potato or steamed rice.





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. ooh that sounds yummy! My mum buys super food ideas all the time. We get so many new yummy recipes from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!

    I like you for so many reasons! Thrifty, foody, baby, tartan, challenges!

    I just finished a dress for each day of October... and made something for every day in July... and before that I made 100 Outfits. I've got to stop the challenges for a while though cause my Husband is going crazy.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!