Oobleck!

By ari - February 03, 2012

Yesteday we made OOBLECK!

Oobleck is the coolest thing ever. It has several names but my favourite is Oobleck, since it comes from a Dr Seuss book!



It's so basic and easy to make, and the best part? Even if you your kid makes a giant mess with it, it is the simplest thing to clean up. I'm serious. Tim was worried it would be like weetbix and just stick to everything like concrete but a quick wipe with a damp cloth and GONE.

All you will need to 2 cups of corn starch/corn flour and one cup of water. THAT IS IT. Ridiculous isn't it!

I don't have photos of it, but I took some videos of me and the Monster playing with it. I love how he says Oobleck "oo egg" and how he copies me when I say it feels weird.




Monster was VERY entertained, playing with it for over half an hour by himself. He loved 'making a mess'. I sent the videos to his dad at work and everyone there was so amazed, ahaha.





There's actual science behind the way Oobleck behaves. If you apply rapid force, like when we were punching it, it stays hard and doesn't let us penetrate it. When we were slowly poking it, or running our fingers through it, it was like a liquid. This is called a non-Newtonian fluid. I don't know EXACTLY how it works or why it behaves like that, but you can read about it here. Or you can just make it and play with it!

This is where we got the idea from, and I really wanted to add colour to it and then make it dance but it was a bit of an effort trying to set up the subwoofer so I'll leave that for another day.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. You're both soo cute together :D
    great idea by the way, reminded me of this post http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2010/05/making-gak.html
    I don't know what equivilant for corn starch we have in europe, but I'll find out!

    btw, never saw a video of you, you have a really nice voice ^^
    cheers, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know oobleck was from dr seuss! i loved that when i was a kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my absolute favorite Dr. Seuss book ever. I've never tried making Oobleck, but now that I have a 5 year-old, it's time I give it a go. I can't wait to find out why it does that hard-as-a-rock thingy, yet liquid as well. too cool.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!