Kids Clothing Week - Day Three: Pandas!

By ari - April 26, 2012

Not to be disheartened by my overlocker's temporary death, I forged on! I finished the jeans that caused the problem, and finished the seams the old-fashioned way - zigzagging the seam allowances. Yesterday Vince wore the jeans I made as well as a shirt of Tim's that I resized. Unfortunately the shirt is now dirty and the jeans  got left at my inlaw's after a toilet accident - so no photos of those until they are clean!

I'm going to start with the cutest thing in the world first! My BFF Sophie has jumped on board KCWC too, even though she doesn't have a blog. This makes me excited because she has only just learned to sew, and she's sitting in her house sewing independently and working it all out! I'm so so insanely proud of her, and hopefully she'll let me share the beautiful photos she's taken of the things she has been making!

Tuesday she made a beautiful little dress for her daughter, and last night I had an idea for a Panda dress, but needed a pattern. I stumbled upon Smashed Peas and CarrotsCrossover Pinafore which has a free pattern and tutorial and realised that it would work perfectly for what I wanted!


Altering it a little I made the pinafore into a panda dress! I really love the cross over back.



It's for size 6-12 months, which is perfect because I have forbidden myself from making any more teeny tiny new clothes. I spent the entire day yesterday working in Edison's room to get it ready for her, and I filled her chest of drawers up FULL - and it's only newborn stuff. So she'll fit that stuff for three weeks max...

SO NO MORE ITTY BITTY CUTE TINY SEWING.

Okay?

Please hold me to that.

I also made her this Panda Hoodie!



It's like one I made Vince when he was a bub. The photos below are of him when he was about 7 months old in his panda hoodie!



Damn he was cute!

The one I made Edison is about a size 0, so smaller than the one Vince was wearing. It has snaps instead of a zipper too because I don't have ANY seperating zippers in my stash.

I have a few more Panda things planned, I don't even LOVE pandas especially, they're just cute to make up for little kids. I'm going to make a panda diaper cover like this one that I made Vince when he was a fat baby, a panda beanie and maybe some panda leggings. It's black and white and it's cute and easy.

I saw these shorts by Jessie and James and I wondered if I could replicate them. They seemed to be simple and comfortable, and I liked the different take on the standard shorts pattern {ie curved crotch seams}.


So using some scrap fabrics I thought I'd give it a go. They came together pretty easily and I'm going to make a pattern so I can make more. Still haven't tried them on the Monster just yet, since he is anti-modelling right now and it's FREEZING today {I'm wearing two pairs of leggings...}.

When I first got freezer paper to start stencilling, I stencilled two of these Sad Keanus. I never actually cut them out into t-shirts, just had the two stencils done on the fabric. Yesterday I finally got around to making one of them up into a shirt! I love it!


The Sad Keanu meme is explained here if you've never seen it before. I think I may have almost perfected my t-shirt pattern! We'll see. The neckline looks better than other versions I've done, but I don't want it too small.


You can download the Sad Keanu stencil I made on my Stencils &Templates page! A really interesting thing I learned is that you can reuse your freezer paper stencils! I used the same stencil twice, and I'm going to experiment just how many times you can use the same stencil!

I also cut up some sweaters and made these on Monday but never got around to taking photos of them. I used a lilac sweater my mum donated to my 'cutting up things and making new things out of them' addiction. The sleeves became the legs of these cute little leggings and the hem of the sweater became the hem on the beanie.


The darker purple ones were also made from a sweater. The hem of the sweater became the hem on the leggings, the button placket was a feature at the bottom of the sweater so I used it up the leg. I love how they turned out. Nice and stretchy and warm. The dark purple ones have a matching beanie too but it's currently AWOL. I'm going to make some flowers or bows out of the scraps and fasten them to the beanies. I made a Pinterest board especially for collecting bow + flower tutorials!



Annnnnd that's all for now! Heading down to the sewing room now to draft some patterns. Not sure if I'll get any actual sewing done. On my to do list is A LOT of stuff depending on what I feel like, but some have priorities over others!

For Vince

  • Sweatpants {it's getting COLD and he has LONG legs}
  • Leggings {I really want to make some sarouel pants like Sophie at Cirque Du Bebe made!}
  • Jeans 
  • Button-up shirts
  • Military Jacket
  • Smoking Jacket
  • Fingerless gloves
  • A suit
  • Baseball {raglan} tees
  • Jocks
  • Horror Hoodie
For Edison

I linked this post up to The Train To Crazy's 'Make It Wear It' series!







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Sorry about your serger =( But you've made such adorable things! Good luck on that fun list! Stop by and link this up to Make It Wear It, a weekly blog link up for all things made to be worn, at TheTrainToCrazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that lil purple outfit for your daughter! So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, the panda cuteness! adorable :D I love sad keanu ^^

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!