Learning Colours with Paint Swatches!

By ari - October 15, 2011

So my little guy is almost 2 and a half. For the longest time he wouldn't talk. I knew he was just being stubborn, and he was very delayed compared to his friends. I WISHED he would talk but I wasn't overly worried about it.

A few months ago he decided to start talking, and he's been amazing ever since. He can speak in small phrases, he knows the names of almost everything, and his favourite colours were Green and White [and still are].

Since he was picking up on two colours and remembering them, I tried teaching him the other colours. He was having a hard time, and if he got the colour wrong he would quickly point to something green and go "It's Green!" to make up for it.

At the hardware store with my friend Emily one day, I was looking at the yellows to decide what colour to paint our wall. Then I had the idea!

Swiping a few of the colours, I wrote the names of them on the cards. I know he can't read but at least he can recognise the shape of the word maybe? That's how I read anyway :P

I stuck them up on the wall in his little corner where he eats his breakfast and colours. He can now name all of them except for Grey and Brown.



The best part? It's free!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Great idea :) I'm not a Mum (yet) but I love reading your blog and seeing all your creations :)

    I just want to let you know that the left hand sidebar of your blog has some images missing from Flickr, and I'm finding it is overlapping your blog entries and making them difficult to read - is it just me?

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I'm doing this today when I stop by the hardware store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these colors!!! I will need to do something like this at some point when I redo my room.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!