Crayon Wall Explosion Tutorial

By ari - November 05, 2011


If you have Pinterest, you have seen this A LOT. It was one of the first things I found on the place, and my husband FLIPPED. OUT. You probably saw this in yesterday's post ;)

I bought a huge canvas easy enough, but do you have any idea how hard it is to find crayons in more than a pack of 12 around here?

So ridiculous!

eBay to the rescue! I bought a 64 pack for $9 including shipping. Ah yeh.

My lovely assistant Tim :)

Distracting Vince by posing with the Hot Glue Gun


 We laid the crayons out in a line, glueing them down with Liquid Nails. I didn't trust the hot glue wouldn't melt during the next stage, better safe than sorry!


We let it dry over night in the spare room, far away from little inquisitive Monster fingers {He has attempted ONCE to remove the crayons from the canvas}


The next day we attacked it with the hairdryer!


It took about 20 minutes? Tim and I took it in turns, although Tim's shifts were longer than mine! He really, REALLY enjoyed himself with this project! {As I mentioned earlier, the whole Pinterest thing has made him all excited about DIYing our home}


We hit the tips of the crayons to make them start running, then Tim discovered if you hit the middles and ends big chunks would suddenly glob out {that is totally a technical term I swear}.






I really love the texture!

This photo makes me hungry

 Because we are beautiful + unique snowflakes, Tim + I decided to flip the canvas so instead of the crayons looking like they were running down the canvas, it looks like they are exploding!


{Linking up to Creative Me Mondays at The Southern Institute}

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I really wanted to do this with my son and husband, too. How neat! I think we will. It looks so neat upside-down! I wonder how silly it might look side-ways. Or two of them side-by-side. I don't even know! Ooh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AMAZING! I'm going to try it, it looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I want to do it with all kind of different shades of pink and purple :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this all over Pinterest and blog-land, but this is the first one I've seen flipped upside down and I LOVE it! It looks way cooler like that! Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's just awesome. what a fun project!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!