More tea light luminaries from tin cans

By ari - November 06, 2011


I made a few more, and have got all my friends collecting tin cans for me now! I want HEAPS. I'd like to say a hundred, but that may be too ambitious and that's a lot of damn candles to light, but think how pretty it will look! Maybe 50. 6 down, 44 to go!


I made a strange diamond star burst one, I kinda went nuts with the marker when I was designing it. Whatever, there'll be more random ones I think. There's also a Batman luminary and one that says LOVE.


That LOVE one? Hilarious story. See that strange shaped 'O'? It's a larger can than I'd used before, so I filled it with water, whacked it in the freezer. Couple of hours later I pull it out, it's all iced, sweet! I decide to do the design low down, since that's where the candle is, and I start hammering away.

Water starts seeping out of the holes rather rapidly, and I think, "WOAH. It is defrosting REALLY quickly." I tilt it up so it is standing up and all this water GUSHES out of the L and the O. Th top of the water was frozen, but underneath it was still water!

I quickly wrapped it in a plastic bag and shoved it back in the freezer. A few days later I checked on it and it has this giant ice ring around the base. Hilarious.

Also I updated the original post with step-by-step photos so it is a proper tutorial now!



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Do you have stores that sell those battery operated luminaries? Then you could hang these from the ceiling or something without worry.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!