Skipper²

By ari - October 14, 2013

Good morning! Today I am super pleased to be the first stop on the Skipper Top tour!


The Skipper Top is a sweet little dolman style t-shirt that is a miniature version of Sew Much Ado's Seafarer Top (a women's pattern!). It is available in sizes 6months right up to 10years and it is highly customisable - two things I really love in patterns!

The Skipper Top is a nice quick and satisfying sew, and so I made two!


The first shirt I used the heart shaped pocket guide as shoulder patches! I used leftovers of Vincent's bat shirt, it's a slinky mustardy-gold stretch fabric, and used black snake-printed lycra for the shoulders! I love how trendy this shirt looks, and I think in future I will pair them with little black leggings (maybe I should use the black snakeprint?!)


This version uses the neckband, sleeve bands and the hem is a slight hi-lo hem, dipping down in the back and just going straight across the front. I just zig-zagged the hem.


There is a way convenient printing guide, so you're not going to be printing off a gazillion pages in sizes you don't need, and neither do you manually have to go through all the pages and choose which ones you need to use (and end up skipping one or two like I often do). The instructions come with step by step photos, and each variation of neckline, sleeve, hem and pocket is clearly shown. There is an entire page dedicated to tips for sewing with knits (stretch fabric) as well as using clear elastic to stabilise a few of the seams in the pattern.


The second Skipper Top sewed up just as easy! I used some of the fabric I bought with my gift voucher at Girl Charlee from Project Run & Play! it's called Rainbow Tiny Hearts, and I don't think it is available anymore!


 In this version, I used the neckband, sleeve bands and also the waistband pattern pieces. I think I really like it with the wide waistband! I used the little heart shaped pocket feature, but failed a bit at making it look like a pocket. Next time I need to stitch the sides of the heart up a little more, and use an iron!



My little heart is looking depressed V_V


Check out the other Skipper tops in the Sew Much Ado Flickr Pool for inspiration and motivation! And stay tuned for other Skipper tops in the Skipper Tour!


(While I didn't make a Skipper Top for Vincent, I honestly think this pattern could also be for boys and I have full intentions of using it as such at a later date!)


You can buy the Skipper Top right here!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Adorable hearts! Just the fact that she is standing now makes her look so much older. Very nicely done as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so cute! I especially love the heart print top, it reminds me of the tops I wore as a toddler in the early 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I love the shoulder patches the most - what a great idea! Sherri | Thread Riding Hood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are so cute. I LOVE the snakeskin hearts on the shoulders! I think I might do something like that for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are both so lovely! But I admit I just died when I saw the mustard version with the shoulder patches! I' in love with mustard for about two years now! ")

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!