Oma: Organic Baby Food & Avocado Dip for Mummy!

By ari - July 05, 2012




Pictured with organic rice cereal
My mum is an incredible woman. Lucky for me, the house we are renting is owned by my parents, and also lucky for me their house and my house share a back fence. Yep. We can just walk through the gate and we're at their house. It's the most perfect arrangement, and I appreciate having them so close. When I was diagnosed with post-natal depression, we moved back to my old hometown so I could have their support. And having their support for this second pregnancy has been so so invaluable.

At my wedding
Without her there wouldn't be this blog. She taught me to sew when I was a kid, she also taught me to be thrifty and see hidden awesomeness. My mother also out-shops me. Every time. Even when I'm not pregnant!

Taking Vince to his swim lesson for me
So I'm so stoked to be bringing to you another post from my mummy! She has prepared a few posts in the past for me, especially when she was on her Raw Foods diet, and now she's back onto it just in time for my daughter!







You can read her recipes for Pumpkin & Kale salad and her version of Chocolate Ice Magic - but raw! Here is a recipe of homemade baby food she used to make for Vince when he was first on solids. 

:AVOCADO APPLE MOUSSE:


If you are able to purchase the following ingredients in organic that, naturally, would be the best!



1 ripe Avocado
1 peeled, cored apple
Pure water – approx. ¼ cup


Using a chopping board and large knife, open up the avocado and take out the pip. Discard. With a dessert spoon scoop out the flesh into the food processor (or blender or jug using a Bamix)
Cut apple into big chunks and put in with avocado
Add a little water
Process to a smooth consistency (add more water for a thinner mousse for a beginner eating solids)
Baby enjoy!


Additional Notes:
Baby Food may be stored in the fridge, but must be consumed within 2 days. To heat up, fill a bowl with hot water and place baby food bowl inside the water bowl.
You are able to change this mousse by not using the apple but adding banana (ripe showing brown spots on the skin) or add a ripe peeled pear, or pineapple. (The sky is the limit)
When baby gets older you might like to add sultanas, ground flaxseeds, pinch of cinnamon etc.
You can also think about adding the organic baby rice for extra oomph (although this is not part of the raw foodism techniques)
You can also make this into a chocolate mousse by adding carob powder.


I found a photo of Vinnie enjoying some of Oma's food!
NOW SOMETHING YUMMY FOR MUMMY...

Seriously I just drooled a little. I know how amazing this tastes

:AVOCADO DIP:

1 avocado
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons olive oil (cold pressed, extra virgin, organic is best)
½ teaspoon salt (or you can use white Miso – yumm!)
1-2 cloves peeled garlic (depends on how garlicky you like it)
Fresh parsley, or purslane from your garden (google this – it is an edible weed and highly nutritious) or you can put any other herb that you like into the pot.


 Now process the whole lot into a dip consistency.

Cut up celery and carrot sticks, and you can use some organic corn chips (original) and ENJOY!

Additional Notes:
Organic ingredients are, of course, the best
You might like to add some raw peeled beetroot to make this a beetroot dip. What about some raw Brazil Nuts or Cashews if you do not have a nut allergy?
You can also change the oils – perhaps you might like to use Rice Bran Oil, or Macadamia Nut oil or a splash of Sesame Oil, etc.

Thanks Mummy! My mum makes that Avo dip for every function we go to or have and it's always a massive hit. Seriously, try it!



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Reading this made me happy, I love my mummy so much. I didn't know you'd suffered from post natal depression, that must have been REALLY tough. I don't have any children (I'm not able to as I'm having chemo) but I do suffer from 'normal' depression and I know how terrible that is. Lots of hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mum seems absolutely amazing! I haven't even met her & I love her! I can't wait to try the avocado dip - maybe it can help me stop feeling so ill. I've already tried crackers, tomato & cheese, and that works a treat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm catching up on reading right now and my mom lives with us in a guest house and it's so great to have Oma nearby. I love seeing photos of her. I should post something about my Oma soon. Oma and Opa are just such special people. hope Edison is doing perfectly. Can't wait to see more of her with Vince.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!